Our survey is the same as the BER survey and the information gathered will allow calculation of the current BER rating and the improved rating that can be achieved by carrying out whatever improvements are identified together with an estimate to complete the works.A BER certificate can be issued at a further cost of €30.
- Home heating is usually provided by a gas/oil boiler, a new condensing boilers and controls package with separate time control on heating and hot water with wall stat and cylinder stat can improve the BER result by 15%.
- The three areas of insulation to consider are, the attic space should be insulated to 300mm of quilt insulation or equivalent rigid board insulation .Attic space are generally insulated with 100mm fibre glass roll and over time it is removed and it reduces in depth when attic is used to store belongings. 300mm insulation meets the current building regulations and will add to the comfort level.The external wall structure when it is a single leaf block can be insulated externally known as wrapping the house or internally insulated which is known as dry lining the internal walls. Either form can improve the U-value of the wall by factor of 4. Some houses have an inner and outer leaf with a cavity of 80 – 100mm space and this can be injected with insulation beads that can be very effective and improve the U-value of the wall by factor of 3.The ground floors of older houses often have timber suspended floors that are permanently ventilated using wall vents to outside. Suspended floors have no insulation and can add to the amount of drafts within the living space and consequently the added heat required . Where possible consider insulating between the joists.
- Window performance has improved considerably and the U-value of double or triple glazed windows are better than factor of 3 compared with old double glazed windows.
- The use of heatpumps are becoming more popular, they are only effective in a well insulated house and ideally should be used with underfloor heating. Heatpumps operate at 35C – 40C flow water temperature for best efficiency .The heatpump can provide 4Kw. Heat for every 1Kw. Electricity consumed.
- Solar hot water panels and cylinders are very popular and the panel can provided 60% of the hot water requirement in the house.
- Solar Photo Voltaic panels can be installed on most roof types , the system can supply a large % of the house electricity depending on the amount of panels installed, the use of batteries and smart control of appliances to coincide with electricity generation. .
When major refurbishments are being undertaken in a house it should be possible to achieve an A or B rating and a saving of 70% of energy requirements.